Sunday, January 3, 2010

Auld Lang Syne Life is Long

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind?

I kiss 2009 goodbye with love. Not really interested in looking back on anything terrible, I am just looking forward.

And, I have to say, 2010 has been a good year for me. I really have loved every minute of it so far. Minimal hangovers, amazing friends, my grandma's birthday party with lots of family ... AND I have already given my bathroom a makeover.

My first meal in 2010 was a Big Mac from McDonald's (of course). My first kiss has made me belly-laugh every single day so far. My daughter has hugged me every day. And I have been happy.

There is a common saying about life being too short. But I think life is long. Life is long. Days are long. Days are full of worrying, fighting, working, thinking, wasting, trying, failing, hating, comparing, gossiping, conspiring, grieving, leaving, regretting, talking ... dreaming, loving, traveling, achieving, laughing, inspiring, smiling, living, running, listening, kissing, illuminating, learning, sharing, drinking, reading, forgiving, resolving, renewing ... Life is too long to spend it being miserable. So I am going to try.

Really try.

"Auld lang syne" literally translated to English is "old long since" or, idiomatically as "long, long, ago".

Oh, hello 2010.
Oh, life is long and hollow ...

Cue my own New Year's Auld Lang Syne : Handsome Furs Hate This City

woke up with blankets in buildings with jaws
stuck to the sheets, clammy with noon
we wish for night-time, a darkening screen
hoping the heart is just a machine

oh, there was home
oh, there was home

this one is vicious, a sinister lean
we haunted the staircase where small ghosts have been
we knew that heaven was stretched out and wide
pinned to the sky, pinned to the sky

oh, there was home
oh, there was home

oh, life is long and hollow
oh, life is long and hollow
oh, life is long and hollow
oh, life is long and hollow

we hate this city and its drone
we hate this city and its drone
we hate this city and its drone
we hate this city and its drone

so black out a million screens
and wire up the floor

baby we can get you anything you want
anytime you want
but you'll wonder what its for

so black out a million screams
and wire up all the floors

baby we can get you anything you want
anytime you want
but you'll wonder what its for

No comments :

Post a Comment

chew it up or spit it out: